Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Moses: Making Excuses and Doubting Self-Worth

Yesterday, Justin introduced the idea of putting our sermon notes from our Delta X summer camp online for everybody who was unable to attend. As he mentioned, we went through a series called "Navigating Through Life." We used the different directions of the compass to explain the different ways we can respond to God's calling. Yesterday, Justin put his message about Jonah and running south away from God. Today, I will put my notes up about Moses and how he made excuses and doubted his worth when God called him to move west to free the Israelites from the Egyptians. Here you go!

Moses: Making Excuses

Have you ever known those people who look like they have it all together?

Why is it so easy to compare and so hard to measure up?

I have always thought of Moses this way

Sometimes it's hard to relate to a guy like him

Did he ever doubt?


Exodus 3:1-4

We all want to be part of something amazing (house boating) -"Here I am"

Exodus 3:5-10

But when God asks us to do something? We make excuses


Five Excuses and God's Responses

1. Who am I? - Exodus 3:11

Jeremiah voluntelling me to try first - who am I to go first?

My call to ministry - who am I to be a pastor?

God's response in Exodus 3:12 - "I will be with you"

Like God telling me the proof that I'm called is to be preaching tonight

Big point - The sign is AFTER obedience; the promise is before


2. Who is sending me? Who are You, God? - Exodus 3:13

Questioning God - do You know what You are doing?

Is this God or is it me? (Ministry)

God's response in verse 14-15 - "I AM WHO I AM"

Look at how mighty and powerful God is in Job 38-41


3. What if they don't believe? - Exodus 4:1

What will people think? How will they know it's God?

My dad's response to my call to ministry

God's response in verses 2-9 - gives us signs to reassure ourselves and to show others

My dad's dream, God opening doors to APU, etc.


4. I am not good enough - Exodus 4:10

God's response in verse 12 - "I will help you speak and teach what to say"

It's so easy to tear ourselves down

Isn't that a stab against God?

When you read Psalm 139:13-16, it's impossible to question your self-worth

The powerful God who created everything in Job 38-41 created YOU in Psalm 139:13-16!


5. Send someone else - Exodus 4:13

Possible rebellion

God's response in verse 15 - same as verse 12


Matthew 28:18-20

We may want God to send someone else

We may not feel good enough

God took 12 people "not good enough" and changed the world

We are part of something amazing, what is God calling you to do?

Put your fears and excuses aside and remember that God's responses ALL include HIM doing everything

We see both in Exodus 3:12 and in Matthew 28:20 that God is with us ALWAYS


No comments:

Post a Comment