Monday, March 8, 2010

Like Comparing Lemons and Oranges

I love lemon bars. I love the Lemon Passion dessert from my time working at the Macaroni Grill. But as much as I love the taste of those desserts...it's the smell that gets me. It's almost intoxicating. I might go so far as to say that the smell of lemons are one of my favorite scents. However, as many of you may know, if you bite into one, they taste ridiculously sour. The scent can lure you in, but if you take a bite, it's absolutely horrible.

On the other hand, I'm not always the biggest fans of eating oranges. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE how they taste. They just take so much effort. You have to get rid of the outer skin. They are messy. They just aren't easy to eat. But after the hard work is done, the taste is amazing. It's worth the effort.

Have you ever been told something was going to be sweet, but when it happened it left you with a bitter taste in your mouth? The enemy does an amazing job at convincing us that sin is sweet. He lures us in with the sweet smell and promises us that it will be worth it. It's like smelling a lemon and then believing it will be as sweet as it smells. But it's all a lie. On the other hand, resisting sin and living the life God calls us to lead takes effort. You have to get rid of the outer skin of our sinful nature and put on the new self. Your life becomes messy because you can't live as you once did. It isn't an easy life to live. But when you taste it...it's amazing.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."- Psalm 34:8

It's worth the effort.


Random Thought: Ever wonder why lemon juice is made with artificial flavor, while dishwashing
liquid is made with real lemons?

No comments:

Post a Comment